In the spirit of the season, the support team here at Sherpa Software have come up with a list of suggested New Year’s Resolutions for beleaguered IT admins and legal professionals dealing with electronic discovery and other information management challenges.
1) Spend more time coordinating between legal and IT to eliminate issues due to miscommunication or misunderstanding.
2) Decrease non-relevant results by using filtering and deduplication criteria more wisely
3) Exercise sample data for issues before committing to large processes
4) Quit procrastinating on the implementation of a proper retention policy
5) Learn emerging case law on dealing with murky areas like social media, international discovery and
cloud based communications
6) Become familiar with the terminology used by both legal and IT
7) Stretch those budget dollars by making better use of existing technology
8) Avoid printing large volumes of ESI, mercilessly mock anyone who suggests it (unless they control your paycheck, in which case kindly suggest other, more effective options)
9) Accept things that cannot be changed, but audit the heck out of them so it will stand up under scrutiny
10) Be kind to children, restaurant staff, and litigation support professionals.