With the April release of Cumulative Update 1 for Exchange 2013 and the increasing popularity of Microsoft 365, many organizations are beginning to seriously consider their upgrade path. To ease the transition into a new messaging environment for our clients, Sherpa has formed a partnership with BinaryTree, a market leader in developing strategies and solutions for the migration of messaging systems. Together, we’re helping clients understand the benefits of a SMART migration.
SMART is a transformational approach to message migration. The methodology was designed on the premise that migrations (whether brought on by a platform conversion, new product release or move to the cloud) are a recurring process rather than an episodic one. With Microsoft rolling out new versions of Exchange on a regular basis and the growth of cloud based email, it’s hard to deny that migrations will continue to occur. SMART is a best practice approach that combines technology and processes built from more than 20 years of messaging transformation experience. Here’s a breakdown of the five SMART process areas:
Superior-- Start with proven technology and partners. Armed with the right technology, a trusted advisor can help ensure that you are heading towards success by leading the discussions and planning needed to properly evolve your messaging platform. BinaryTree’s expertise in message conversion, coupled with Sherpa Software’s expertise in email analytics, can help you gain actionable insight into your message environment.
Messaging--Messaging is a common, yet mission-critical component of your infrastructure. Define and establish benchmarks for what you want to achieve by enhancing your messaging platform and implementing the Exchange Transformation Lifecycle.
Analysis--Collect the most complete and accurate information. Analyze the complex and unique nature of your messaging environment, consisting of your users, servers, policies, workflow and content.
Rationalization– Make the right decisions. Map your analysis to your business requirements in order to develop a decision framework for rationalizing what, when and how you will migrate. Don’t migrate data that isn’t required and that extends the duration of the migration process not to mention takes up valuable storage space.
Transformation– Message system evolution is on-going. Adopt the processes, behaviors and strategy that will enable you to continually monitor your email environment keeping your users satisfied, productive and mobile.
SMART helps you plan for the next migration wave but that is just part of the picture. Implementing those plans requires a capable set of tools. Together E2E (BinaryTree) and Mail Attender (Sherpa Software) provide a powerful suite that help you smoothly complete any migration scenario.
- BinaryTree’s E2E product delivers fast migration processing using PowerShell, the most advanced and scalable transport mechanism provided by Microsoft. E2E is the only product that covers all 3 types of Exchange migrations:
- Intra-Org upgrades (one Exchange version to another)
- Inter-Org (or cross-forest) migrations
- Cloud based Microsoft 365 migrations
- Sherpa Software’s Mail Attender product provides unparalleled analytics and complete content management for your email environment. Mail Attender allows you to:
- Build a statistical profile of individual user mailboxes or your entire organization
- Create ad-hoc reports that drill into message detail
- Trim mailbox contents prior to the migration by copying, moving or deleting messages based on age or a wide variety of other criteria
- Eliminate PST files prior to a migration by ingesting them into the Exchange environment
To schedule a first-hand demonstration of how E2E and Mail Attender can work together, please give us a call at 1-800-255-5155 or plan to visit us at Microsoft TechEd. This year, the show takes place at the Morial Convention Center in New Orleans from June 2-6, Sherpa and BinaryTree will be exhibiting side-by-side to explain the benefits of SMART migration.